Setting up email notifications¶
- Go to Email Notifications in the Ombi menu, and make sure "Enabled" is checked.
If your mail provider requires authentication, ensure that "Enable SMTP authentication" is also checked.
If you want to activate user email notifications as well, make sure that is checked.
- In the SMTP Host name or IP field, enter the address of your SMTP server.
- In the SMTP port field enter the port your server uses.
- In the Email sender field enter the email address you wish the notifications to come from.
Generally, this is your own email address. If you have a service such as Office 365 or Gmail then adding an an alias to your account will allow you to use a different address to your actual one.
- Set email recipient to any email you want to test against.
- Fill in your full email address and password in the username and password field.
Submit these settings, and then can run a test. This will confirm whether or not everything is working.
Common Mail Settings¶
Common Mail Issues¶
Gmail Less Secure Apps¶
In the past, Gmail has required you to enable "access for less secure apps", under your account security. https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps.
This setting has been/is being retired (it's being done in stages, not all users will encounter this at once).
The only way moving forward is via Two Factor Authentication (2FA).
Two Factor Authentication¶
To send email via Gmail with a direct SMTP connection, you may need to add an "App Password" to your account.
This is only possible if you have 2 factor authentication turned ON with your Gmail account.
More information can be found here
Email failing even with correct SMTP settings¶
A common cause of the system failing to generate emails is a missing entry under Settings -> Customisation > Application URL.
This generally results in Ombi logging an error saying: